In answer to Clara's question - I am pursuing a higher degree along an
ecology/molecular biology vein in order to do research that is relevant to
marine conservation efforts as well as educate.

It is true that a professor has no obligation to be a friend nor to relate
personally but it is not unreasonable to expect to be treated as an adult and
with courtesy and respect.  It is no less than I would expect of myself where
others are concerned.  I have been very fortunate thus far.  There is always a
choice and each of us is ultimately responsible for our own happiness whatever
that requires.

CR