The classic work by Muir and colleagues – in which group selection was used to
increase population rate of egg production by caged chickens while reducing
aggressive interactions to the point where beak trimming was no longer needed –
was, I believe, instituted in a university agricultural program, and at least
partly designed to increase the humaneness of production conditions.

Thomas J. Givnish
Henry Allan Gleason Professor of Botany
University of Wisconsin

givn...@wisc.edu