Hi all, I have been reading with great interest.  I had yet another
response.  I lost Wilson right at the outset when he suggested we were
losing great biologists because of lack of math skills (full disclosure: I
was a math major).  I have had the opposite experience, hinted at by other
posters.  That is, I find students applying with inadequate math skills (ie
not being scared off).  I have no experience to suggest that
science-oriented students with strong biophilia are dissuaded by lack of
math.  Honestly, sometimes I wish more were!

Students may be steered away from some science areas because they worry
about the math, but the math expectations of many biology/ecology programs
are not high (not high eneough possibly) and many programs have excellent
courses targeted to such students to give them the tools they need to do
their own quantative research or to at least talk with appropriate
colleagues.

Students with field skills, organismal identification skills and lab skills
are still very welcome in most programs: I don't know where the idea that
students  think ecology is math-heavy comes from.  Whether it should be
math heavy, etc is another debate (about which I have opinions), separate
from whether students avoid ecology because of math.  I just don't think
very many do.

dave

PS I do actually believe ecology should be a post-calculus subject, and
that mathematics is A (not the) language of science (taxonomy being another)