Jane, I believe there are some institutions where one can earn an undergraduate
degree in biology with only college algebra, and some of those even still offer
and require trigonometry, both of which have been subsumed at most post
secondary institutions that offer them into a "precalculus" course.  I just
looked up one such institution where I once taught, and that is the case there.
 Even there, there is the caveat listed in the catalog that students wishing to
pursue graduate studies should take two calculus courses.

David McNeely

--
David McNeely