Those of us in the wildlife field have noticed the same trend for a while.  It
has prompted some folks to use the professional society as a vehicle to provide
field-based training opportunities.  The Northeast Section of The Wildlife
Society started a 2-week field course for college students, our 6th annual
course begins this weekend (http://wildlife.org/NE/field_course).  We have
students from 8 different schools signed up, a mix of grad students and
undergrads, as well as 1 recent grad looking to get into grad school.  Other
Sections and Chapters of TWS have started similar courses, sometimes as a
weekend workshop, sometimes a bit longer.    In the Northeast, as a number of
us began to comment on this lack of field-based courses (or limited numbers) at
some schools we thought that instead of writing letters to department heads as
alums, we could use the professional society to do something constructive and
expose students to working professionals who they might not meet on campus.
This year, we have 22 professionals volunteering to come and lead or assist in
1 or more of our sessions, so it becomes quite a networking opportunity for
students, too.

John E. McDonald, Jr., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Environmental Science
Westfield State University
Westfield, MA 01086
jemcdon...@westfield.ma.edu<mailto:jemcdon...@westfield.ma.edu>
413-572-8393
Northeast Section Representative and Fellow, The Wildlife Society

http://www.westfield.ma.edu/prospective-students/academics/environmental-science/

Like us on Facebook at:
www.facebook.com/pages/Westfield-State-Environmental-Science/168696726672260<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Westfield-State-Environmental-Science/168696726672260>