Ashley

I mean no disrespect to your view, but would argue that your second sentence is
wrong in two ways: 1) communication skills are essential in science, more
essential than programming skill, which is of course useful, and more so than
ever given science’s increasing role in society, 2) There IS a logic to English
grammar and syntax. It was taught in ancient times when I was in grade school,
but from the writing I see in papers submitted to journals and elsewhere, it
appears that it is rarely taught today.

>> On Feb 3, 2015, at 8:50 AM, Ballantyne, Ashley
>> <ashley.ballant...@umontana.edu <mailto:ashley.ballant...@umontana.edu>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Just to be fair we should implement an exam to ensure that all graduate
>> students are fluent in at least one computer language- regardless of native
>> language!  I would argue that logical computer syntax is more critical than
>> illogical English syntax to one's future success in science.
>>
>> ash

Don McKenzie
Pacific Wildland Fire Sciences Lab
US Forest Service