I agree, Daniel. My colleagues and I offered a scientific writing workshop
for graduate students last semester and 75% of attendees were native
English speakers. In comments after the workshop, many graduate students
said that they hadn't even remembered what a topic sentence was and had
re-learned many basics of grammar and sentence structure. English is hard
for native speakers but remembering this made these students more
compassionate for the challenges their foreign peers face. If native
English-speaking scientists had to learn another language, we would
appreciate just how hard our international (non-native speakers) colleagues
have to work.

Nancy

--

Nancy E. Karraker, Ph.D.