Date:    Fri, 29 May 2015 03:27:01 +0000
From:    "Rosenbaum, Stacy" <srosenb...@lpzoo.org>
Subject: Re: Graduate School Advice

Hi Emily,

I am about one year post PhD. I approached a few professors with a project =
idea in mind. A couple said "This is interesting but my lab isn't the right=
 place to do it," and one (who became my advisor) expressed admiration for =
the initiative that I took in coming up with my own ideas. In my experience=
, the people who go to grad school and just wait for their advisor to hand =
them a project come out worse prepared than those who enthusiastically purs=
ue their own questions/interests. They might learn the technical, writing, =
etc. skills needed to complete a research project, but they haven't been th=
rough the important (and more nuanced) process of coming up with an interes=
ting, testable question, and wrestling with how best to answer it. No advis=
or that you would actually want to work with would think less of you for ap=
proaching them with an idea. On the contrary, it's a pretty good indicator =
that you're likely to be a successful graduate student.=20

There has been a lot of good advice shared here about talking to everyone a=
nd anyone. The more information gathering you do, the more likely you are t=
o find a program and advisor who is a good fit. The entire process of gradu=
ate school is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor. One of the most valuable th=
ings I gained from the experience was learning how to take responsibility f=
or my own learning, mistakes and all.=20

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Even if you don't end up staying in ac=
ademia, it's worthwhile. Note that despite his declaration that grad school=
 is a waste of time, Dr. Dossey signs his name followed by PhD and field. S=
omebody who truly didn't think graduate school had any value would not cont=
inue to profess the academic qualifications it afforded him.=20

Cheers,=20

Stacy Rosenbaum
Behavioral Endocrinology Postdoctoral Fellow
Davee Center for Epidemiology and Endocrinology
Lincoln Park Zoo
Ph: 312-742-2250
srosenb...@lpzoo.org

On May 28, 2015, at 5:10 AM, Robert Pettit <rdpetti...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Emily,
>=20
> As someone who just wrapped up a graduate degree program and has watched =
all the joy and sorrow that can bring (to me and my classmates) I would say=
 you need to know where to strike the balance between sticking to your guns=
 and being adaptable. Maybe your dream professor will string you along and =
the funding won=92t work correctly, that is hardly a unique experience. But=
 hopefully if that occurs you will have been talking to a few other pretty =
good professors, one of whom will have space for you in their lab. Basicall=
y don=92t put all your eggs in one basket and make sure you are talking to =
absolutely everyone, you never know what the person next to you at the conf=
erence is thinking about.=20