Thanks for all the suggestions.
In summary the suggestions have been to fit the pitfalls with some form of
ant bait or a mesh to exclude them.
These are some useful suggestions for the reptile traps we set, so thank
you for these ideas.

However, we also set arthropod traps and therefore do want to still capture
insects in traps that are 10cm diameter cups. The issue is that the ants
attack other insect species and if a reptile does incidentally fall in the
trap they too get attacked.
Suggestions to check the traps more frequently are probably wise but
impractical for our project- the traps need to be left unattended for
between 24 - 40 hours.

What I am looking for really, is a solution that will specifically target
ants without harming other insect species- in particular beetles- because
some species we trap are highly endemic and we prefer to re-release them
after identification.
I assume this type of order-specific targeting chemical does not exist, but
I would love to know if anyone has found ways to deal with this issue for
entomological trapping.

Many thanks

Tania.

Tania Bird MSc
*"There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's
greed" ~ Mahatma Gandhi*

https://www.linkedin.com/in/taniabird
https://www.taniabird.webs.com