I recently purchased an iPad with a life proof nuud case, as recommended on
this listserv.  The case has performed well in tests (eg. submerging it
completely), so I’m fairly confident the tablet won’t break.

HOWEVER… I haven’t actually been using it for fieldwork lately, because I’m not
sure what the iPad does with data when it isn’t connected to the internet.
When I do have an internet signal, it deposits any changes directly in Box.  If
it isn’t connected while you are working, it will update once you get back in
range.  But the iPad itself has very little memory, and I’m not sure the data
is actually being saved, and that makes me REALLY nervous.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  One of my colleagues suggested adding a
peripheral device (USB-stick equivalent), but that would make it a little
unwieldy and make the case not waterproof.

Emily Moran
UC Merced