Hello fellow scientists!

I'm writing today to announce a new initiative to conserve, restore, and improve wetland forests of the southern United States. The Wetland Forest Initiative, catalyzed and convened by my organization (Dogwood Alliance) has brought together partners from academics, agencies, nonprofit organizations, professional societies, land trusts, tribes, and others to work towards a new vision for wetland forests.

Wetland forests span 35 million acres across 14 Southern states and this new initiative represents a unified effort of diverse groups to secure a safer, healthier, more economically-just, and prosperous future for the rural South.

Please feel free to watch and share the video, check out our Executive Director Danna Smith’s piece on Fusion, "Ushering in a New Era of Conservation in America on World Wetlands Day", and visit the initiative’s press release here.

Keeping wetland forests standing strong is one of the smartest investments we can make over the coming decades to mitigate climate change, protect biodiversity and watersheds, and safeguard our communities from flooding and natural disasters.

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to email or call me.

Best,

Sam Davis
Dogwood Alliance
(828) 251-2525 ext 19