Dear colleagues,

We are looking for a highly motivated PhD-student to join the long-term
research on the interactions between plants, insects & microbes.

For more information see the project description (below) and the following
link:

http://www.su.se/english/about/vacancies/vacancies-new-list?rmpage=job
<http://www.su.se/english/about/vacancies/vacancies-new-list?rmpage=job&rmjo
b=2550&rmlang=UK> &rmjob=2550&rmlang=UK

and don’t hesitate to contact me directly by email,

My best,

Ayco Tack

ayco.t...@su.se <mailto:ayco.t...@su.se>

Project description

Plants interact with a large number of insects and microorganisms, including
pests like herbivores and pathogens, and mutualists like parasitoids and
mycorrhizal fungi. In both agricultural fields and natural communities these
microbe and insect species commonly co-occur on the same plant individual.
While we know how insects interact with insects, and microbes with microbes,
interkingdom interactions among plant-associated microbes and insects have
only rarely been investigated. To fill this gap, the current project
combines experimental and molecular approaches to gain a predictive
understanding of how direct and indirect interactions among insects and
microbes structure terrestrial plant-based communities. The project can be
subdivided into two modules. The student will first explore the role of
these interactions within a community context in a multi-factorial
greenhouse experiment, focusing on the food webs surrounding the plant
Plantago lanceolata and Bistorta vivipara. Next, the student will pinpoint
the plant-mediated interactions between microbes and insects by probing the
response of the plant – in terms of gene expression and defense-related
phytohormonal pathways – to microbe, insect and simultaneous attack.

___________________________________

Ayco Tack
Assistant professor
Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences

Stockholm University
SE-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Visiting address: Svante Arrhenius Väg 20A, room N420
Phone: + 46-(0)8-163959
Mobile: + 46-(0)70-4942557
 <mailto:ayco.t...@su.se> ayco.t...@su.se

 <http://www.plantmicrobeinsect.com/> www.plantmicrobeinsect.com