I mention a few examples here as it may encourage others to think about how similar databases or files they have compiled could be shared.

I maintain an EndNote bibliographic database about references related to pollination biology, which I started a few decades ago. It now has over 13,000 entries, most with abstracts. I've archived a copy at the Digital Repository at the University of Maryland (http://drum.lib.umd.edu/handle/1903/19192) for anyone to download. I advertised this on a few pollination lists, and in the week or so since then 1528 people have downloaded it. (I can also provide it in RIS format).

Another database I've archived is an Access database of over 11,000 records collated from the literature about flies pollinating or at least visiting flowers http://drum.lib.umd.edu/handle/1903/19193, with an accompanying EndNote database of the 499 references from which I derived the observations. It's been downloaded 239 times in the week since I archived it and advertised it.

A third example is a database with observations of flowering phenology for 120 species in 30 permanent plots at the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory (over 2 million flowers counted!), from an ongoing NSF-funded project there that I started in 1973. It's at the Open Science Framework, at https://osf.io/jt4n5 <https://osf.io/jt4n5/>thanks to the efforts of postdoc Dr. Jane Ogilvie. We encourage you to think about how you can make use of this resource (e.g., there are opportunities for many papers about the phenology of those species).

Finally, almost 500 people have downloaded a translation I made of a 1948 paper in German about the courtship behavior of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds. http://drum.lib.umd.edu/handle/1903/10113

At a time when some information and databases are disappearing from federally-funded Web sites in USA, maybe you too can help share some of the science you're creating.

David Inouye

--

Dr. David W. Inouye
Professor Emeritus