We are seeking Master of Science students with interest in ecology and
historical ecology of freshwater ecosystems for research in our laboratory
at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg.  Students would be
enrolled in a thesis-based Master’s program in Conservation Biology.  Our
research examines biological and chemical evidence in lake sediment cores to
reconstruct historical changes in lakes, watersheds, and wetlands.  Findings
have relevance to management, restoration, and conservation programs.  Our
research requires knowledge of modern freshwater ecology, and genuine
interest in examining evidence in the historical context.  We particularly
seek students who have interest in aquatic and wetland plants, who would
participate in historic analyses involving pollen, plant macrofossils,
phytoliths, diatoms, algae, etc.  The investigators have more than 30 years
of experience in freshwater historical ecology.  Florida has 8000 lakes that
offer diverse research opportunities.  Interested applicants should have a
B.S. in a biological discipline, ecology coursework, and preferably some
coursework in freshwater ecosystems and non-agricultural plants.  Our
program is small, selective, and M.S. students would be eligible for
teaching assistantships that provide health insurance and some tuition
waivers.  The M.S. program application deadline is June 1, but those with
interest in conducting thesis research in our lab should contact us well in
advance to discuss their interests.  We request serious inquiries only to:

Dr. Thomas J. Whitmore - whitm...@usfsp.edu
Dr. Melanie Riedinger-Whitmore – marie...@usfsp.edu