Several sessions at this year’s Coastal and Estuarine Research Federation
(CERF) conference will be addressing ecosystem services. I am co-leading one
such session that may be of interest:

Session Title: Coastal Ecosystem Goods and Services: Sustainability in a
Changing Climate

Long Description: Ecosystem goods and services (EGS) provide linkages between
the natural environment and human beneficiaries. Benefits include provisions,
regulation of ecosystem processes and cultural services that directly sustain
or enhance the quality of human life. Since the 2005 Millennium Ecosystem
Assessment, questions about how to best define, value, and monitor ecosystem
services have been at the forefront of scientific and policy discussions. In
coastal areas especially, uncertainties regarding the resilience of these
services, and communities dependent on their availability, abound as global
climate change alters the very foundation of these environments. Emphasizing
the importance of estuaries and other coastal habitats in the context of
ecosystem services is both challenging and unique. Whereas benefits related to
fishing, recreation and tourism can more easily be translated into economic
value, estuaries also support numerous water quality and health benefits that
may be difficult to quantify. Additionally, considering how climate stressors
(i.e. sea-level rise, increased temperatures, intensified coastal storms, and
ocean acidification) will affect the coupled human and ecosystem dynamics is
fundamental to enhancing overall resilience. These multifaceted problems
require the expertise of social and natural scientists, along with innovative
tools, models and approaches to assess complex interlinkages. We invite
speakers from diverse disciplines to present research addressing coastal EGS
delivery, valuation, and sustainability, as well as research that identifies
potential trade-offs between ecosystem services. We also encourage presenters
who can demonstrate methods that effectively engage local stakeholders and
disseminate tools and resources necessary to build resilient coastal
communities. We especially welcome research incorporating the potential or
demonstrated effects of climate change on coastal EGS.

Short Description: Ecosystem services provide context for understanding the
interplay between coastal environments and human beneficiaries dependent on
their numerous functions and values. Understanding these dynamics is indeed
challenging and requires interdisciplinary perspectives from diverse fields. We
invite speakers tackling issues related to ecosystem service assessment,
valuation, delivery, and the like to share their progress, case studies, tools
and general approaches for evaluating coastal ecosystem services.

To submit an abstract to this session:
https://cerf.confex.com/cerf/2017/webprogrampreliminary/Session1309.html

The deadline for abstract submissions in May 1st .

Regards

Chanda
----
ORISE Postdoctoral Research Fellow