<NOTE – this was sent this morning. Perhaps did not arrive?>

Many months ago in this group, a colleague (apologies, it is now lost in my
email graveyard) requested input on the priorities of applying coupled human
and natural system research to questions of sustainability.

The paper “Top 40 Questions in Coupled Human and Natural Systems (CHANS)
Research” was still being shaped. Now published in Ecology and Society, we hope
it can spark discussion.

Sustainability scholars across the globe have made the leap to embrace
integrative and interdisciplinary research, yet where to best place that energy
hadn’t been well defined. In the journal Ecology and Society, a focus for
understanding and managing coupled human and natural systems is gaining clarity
thanks to surveys that asked scholars what were the most important questions
In part, it’s an acknowledgment of the mainstreaming and maturing of
integrative research. Earlier generations of scientists were regarded as
renegades if they branched out into separate disciplines. Now, the
International Network of Research on Coupled Human and Natural Systems, known
as CHANS-Net, has served as a groundswell of thought of where such science
should go…

The paper can be found here:
http://csis.msu.edu/sites/csis.msu.edu/files/ES-2017-9429.pdf

And the full release on the work here:
http://csis.msu.edu/news/sustainability-40-biggest-questions

Sue Nichols
Assistant Director/Strategic communications
Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability
Michigan State University
(517) 432-0206<tel:(517)%20432-0206>
@suegnic<http://csis.msu.edu/>

CSIS homepage<http://csis.msu.edu/>, CSIS on