Last fall, we installed four Spectrum Technologies Watchdog data loggers with
soil moisture probes in our sites in Sequoia National Park.  They were mounted
at 1 m height on poles inside UV-shields.
When we went to check on them in the spring, the brackets holding the loggers
and shields were bent over, and in some cases the wires to the moisture probes
had been pulled out.
We suspect bears, because it seems unlikely that the weight of snow would be
sufficient to cause this (it took a lot of force to bend one of the brackets
back into shape).

I asked a company representative, and their suggestion was to get a fence
(preferably electrified).  This is unlikely to be acceptable to the park, and
might be outside our budget anyway.  They also suggested spraying them with
bear repellant, but since the stations have to be left unattended during the
rainy and/or snowy winter, I think it would wash off almost immediately.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dissuading bears from messing with
equipment?
We have considered sturdier brackets plus either taller or shorter poles, but
I’m not sure if this would be sufficient.

Thanks!

Emily Moran
Assistant professor, UC Merced