We are searching for a motivated and independent postdoctoral scholar
interested in developing a
research project investigating how microbiomes of fish vary along environmental
gradients, how genetic
and environmental factors interact to shape microbiomes, and how variation in
microbiomes may shape
the ecological function of individuals and populations. The postdoctoral
scholar’s research is expected
to be integrated with our studies of phylogenetically-independent lineages of
livebearing fishes that
have colonized and adapted to toxic, hydrogen-sulfide-rich springs in Mexico. A
core objective of the
project is to use comparative analyses and experimental approaches to
understand how microbe-animal
interactions may facilitate adaptation to extreme environmental conditions.

The position will be available in the laboratory of Dr. Michi Tobler in the
Division of Biology at Kansas
State University in Manhattan, KS (http://sulfide-life.info). The Division of
Biology provides a highly
interdisciplinary research environment, with focal strengths in genomics,
ecology, and evolution. Our
division provides excellent opportunities for collaborative networking with
microbial ecologists,
particularly through recently funded initiatives that bring together
researchers from different universities
in the state of Kansas to study microbiomes of plants, soils, and aquatic
environments. In addition,
candidates can leverage collaborative ties with the laboratory of Dr. Joanna
Kelley at Washington State
University (https://labs.wsu.edu/genomes/), which will provide added expertise
in bioinformatics.
Beyond research, we will provide additional professional development
opportunities, emphasizing
improvement of teaching and mentoring skills, grant writing, and obtaining
skills for getting a permanent
job.

Candidates are expected to have completed or be completing a PhD degree, to
have strong written and
oral communication skills, and to be able to work both independently and as
part of a collaborative
team. Our lab provides a diverse and inclusive environment for students and
researchers, and we
particularly welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
First and foremost, we are
interested in recruiting creative minds that have an interest in developing and
leading independent
projects. Ideal candidates will also have at least two of the following core
competencies: (1) experience
with the analysis of microbiomes or a background in microbial ecology; (2)
bioinformatics skills relevant
to the analysis of next-generation sequence data; (3) experience with
fish/aquatic biology in an
experimental or field setting.

The appointment will be for up to two years, with an initial appointment of one
year and an extension
based on performance. Salary will be commensurate with experience, and full
benefits are included.
Interested applicants should email Michi at tob...@ksu.edu if they have any
questions. Applications have
to be submitted directly through Kansas State University
(http://careers.k-state.edu/cw/en-
us/job/502903/fellow-post-doc-biology) and include a curriculum vitae, a cover
letter that includes a
statement of research interests that explicitly describes professional
qualifications for the position in the
context of research goals, and contact information for three references.

The preferred start date is February 2018. Review of applications will begin
immediately and will
continue until the position is filled.