Research Technician (Crop Protection Ecology)
Location: Salina, KS
Status: Exempt, Full-time, 40 hr/wk
Report to: Crop Protection Ecologist
Effective Date: Negotiable, ideally 5/1/2018
Compensation: Competitive with median salary for the region
Does the idea of bringing the "ecology" to "agroecology" appeal to you? Would
you like to be part of a network of really interesting people who are
revolutionizing row crop agriculture? Most of all, do you enjoy playing with
insects, plants, and soil? If your answer to these questions are "YES," then
consider applying for our Research Technician in Crop Protection Ecology at The
Founded in 1976, The Land Institute is a non-profit organization whose mission
is to develop perennial grain agricultural systems. The Crop Protection
Ecology lab is devoted to managing crop pests and beneficial insects within
these systems using a variety of sustainable approaches, including building
healthy soils to improve plant health, increasing plant diversity to promote
natural enemy and pollinator abundance, and establishing new management
strategies for pests unique to our perennial grain crops.
Duties will include:
* Rearing and maintaining colonies of pest and beneficial insects, such as
aphids, lepidopterans, lady beetles, and honey bees
* Collecting field samples for long- and short-term research projects at TLI
* Identifying insect specimens from field collections (training will be
provided if needed)
* Training and overseeing summer interns in data collection and field plot
* Preparing and shipping soil, plant, and insect samples for analyses
* Entering and updating data in spreadsheets
* Assisting with greenhouse studies
* Periodically assisting with research projects conducted by other TLI
researchers when needed
* BS degree in Biology, Ecology, Entomology, Agronomy, or a related field,
plus 1 or more years' experience as a research technician (or equivalent
position). 1+ years' experience conducting independent research as an
undergraduate OR a Master's degree may be substituted for postgraduate research
* Computer literacy, especially proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
* Good oral and written communication skills
* Experience and ability working outdoors
* Observe safety and security procedures; use equipment and materials
* Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
* Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; look for ways to improve and
* Ability to work well with others throughout the organization to build
* Prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently.
* Consistently at work and on time; punctual; ensure that work
responsibilities are covered when absent.
* Follow policies and procedures; complete administrative tasks correctly
and on time; support organization's goals and values.
* Willing to adjust schedule to meet the demands of the organization.
* Experience rearing insects in a laboratory setting
* Taxonomic proficiency with common row crop pest and pollinator species
* Experience collecting insects in the field using any one or more of the
following techniques: sweep net, light traps, sentinel traps, pitfall traps, or
* Previous experience managing students, interns, or other adult workers
For the official job posting and more information about The Land Institute,
Please email your CV/Resume and contact information for three references to Dr.
Ebony Murrell, murr...@landinstitute.org<mailto:murr...@landinstitute.org>.
Review of applications will begin March 9, 2018 and will continue until the
position is filled.