We have one REU position available for a student to conduct a research project
within a
large-scale, replicated experiment on conservation corridors in South Carolina.
 The REU
will be mentored by Dr. John Orrock (Associate Professor at UW-Madison) and
Savannah
Bartel (PhD student at UW-Madison). We will work with the student to develop a
project
centered around the general question: “What is the role of small mammals in the
dispersal of seeds through connected habitats?” Within this general framework,
the REU
will have the opportunity to select specific questions and hypotheses to test,
such as: 1)
How do corridors affect small-mammal activity and community composition? 2) How
do
corridors affect predator activity? 3) How do corridors alter seed preference
by small
mammals?

The REU will conduct fieldwork over the summer of 2018 (~May-August). The
student will
receive a stipend ($6000), along with an offset to living expenses ($600). All
research
expenses will be covered. The student will live close to our field station
(USFS Savannah
River), near New Ellenton, SC.

Interested undergraduates should contact Savannah Bartel (bart...@wisc.edu)
with a
copy of their CV or resume and a brief statement of interest (~1 paragraph).
Applications are due by March 15th.