In June, I graduated from the University of California Davis with a B.S. in
Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity. I just want to express that even in
our own countries, it is hard to find work in conservation, or even ecology
in general. No one I know in my major has a job lined up in our field
yet--not even an interview. I did always dream of working in the tropics
and doing conservation, but I don't have the resources to do unpaid work. I
have been applying to conservation jobs in the United States, but it is
really hard to get into this field, even with years of experience in labs
and doing field work. I've been keeping up with this post and, honestly, it
is very disheartening. I had hoped to hear some of the paths that people
started at my age and how they had resulted in a career. This hasn't been
the case, though.

Many of the other graduates I know need paid work. We are starting to want
to settle for jobs other than the ones we dreamed of. Many of us feel
undervalued as we have done unpaid work our entire undergraduate career on
top of working a normal job to pay our rent and thought that once we had a
degree, we would be paid for our services. We know that there are a lot of
people out there willing to work for free (we were those people because as
an undergraduate you don't have many options), but what message does that
send to future ecologists holding a bachelors, masters, or doctorate? It
tells us that our work is not worth paying for, therefore, it is
unimportant. If we can't make a living out of our dream, we will have to
stop following it. If people hear there is little chance of being able to
support yourself as a conservationist, how many future conservationists do
you think we will have? I'm not in this for the money, no one I know is,
but we have to make something to be able to continue working in this field
we love.

If you do have success stories in ecology, in making a career out of it,
please do share. It gives those of us just starting out a little hope

-Asia Jones