Jason,

I'm also 45, with a Master's, and have worked in ecology/conservation for long
time. I also decided to
re-enroll in grad school last year for a PhD, 20 years after getting that
Master's. As perhaps Earth's
only Harvard/UC Riverside alum (BA/MSc, resp.), I'll second what Mike Ellis
(Ecuador NGO dir.) said
about studying 'below your weight', and most of his other points too.

Ok, by "success", you state that you'd like to live in the tropics (let's say
full-time) and contribute to
conservation through research in some way. You cite Goodall, etc. as role
models. I'm still unclear on
what your actual skills are, so I'd start with that.

- What do you do better than anyone else?
- Who are the people that say, "I know, we gotta call Jason Hernandez to figure
this one out"?
- If I found $10K for you tomorrow, how would you spend it, and would I be
pleased with the results?
- How could you save an NGO money, or get them some funding, and how would you
go about this?

These are hard questions if you're just starting out, since you don't know how
anything works. But
these should be easy for someone working in the field for a couple decades.

I get that making money in conservation is a slog, and always has been. I
worked lots of unpaid/low-
paid field tech jobs up until grad school, then was a program director at
Audubon for five years (after
cold-calling them to see if they needed someone to do a management plan for one
of their
sanctuaries, which to my surprise they did). Then I quit and started my own
ecological consulting
business after getting to know the landscape, assembling mentors, and picking
up a few survey
contracts.

I haven't saved a dime and I've been at it for 20 years, but it pays the bills,
and supports my family,
etc., so I don't think I'm a "failure". In some ways, I'm your version of
success, living where I want,
doing research here and there on topics that interest me, fighting conservation
battles I get called
into.

To me your plan needs fleshing-out. Is there an area of the tropics that
interests you? (it's a big place)
Do you have contacts anywhere, and have you impressed anyone down there?

I think for a long time, I romanticized working in the tropics. As an
undergrad, I'd read about Ted
Parker and Al Gentry, and think - you could get PAID for doing that? But
realistically, the people who
get paid to record bird songs and collect plants in remote areas aren't JUST
doing that every day.
They're raising money, writing papers, prepping specimens, analyzing genomic
data, teaching
courses - you know, the 'work' part! Someone hired them for specific skills, so
just living in the tropics
without institutional backing doesn't sound like a really viable path - unless
you have some
independent funding source in mind. I'd have a base and a job up here and just
pick an area down
there to return to, and really get to know it.

I need to wrap this up, and I'll do so with this analogy I tell students who
ask...let's say you want to
work in conservation and focus on salmon conservation. That's great. Now, do
you want to hike
around in a wetsuit and do snorkeling surveys? Do you want to monitor catches
for a federal agency
and develop strategic plans? Do you want to analyze spawning data and publish
the results? Do you
want to design the tanks and hatchery equipment that keep them alive in
captivity? Work with
consultants to write legislation and pester electeds? Design education
materials and teach a bunch of
kids? And on and on. Now, swap "salmon" for anything else, and you'll see these
jobs are really similar
across subjects, and require similar skills. But it's a good idea to just pick
one of these trajectories
and work along it, or at least try to return to it after being away. And after
c. 10,000 hours, hey, you'll
be an expert!

Dan Cooper
www.cooperecological.com