Hi all,

Posting on behalf of a colleague. Please send all enquiries to
seahorseconservat...@gmail.com

SEAHORSE PROJECT LEADER POSITION -MARINE CONSERVATION CAMBODIA

Job Description

We are looking for a project leader, able to manage our Seahorse Research
program. You
will be taking over every aspect of the project, from fundraising to underwater
surveying.
You will be in charge of the methodology, the data collection, applying for
grants and
publishing papers. You will have the opportunity to work with both seasoned and
experienced researchers and international experts. We are searching for
dedicated and
motivated candidates. You will have a lot of work, a lot of responsibilities
and a fairly
intense self-imposed schedule. But you will be surrounded by an experienced and
passionate team who have all been involved in building this project.

Job requirements

-       Background in Seahorse Research
-       Passion and dedication to your mission
-       Adaptation capabilities
-       High proficiency in spoken and written English
-       Minimum of Bachelor's degree or equivalent
-       Scientific and muck scuba diving skills preferable
-       Effective scheduling capabilities and strong time management skills
-       Be able to manage volunteers
-       Previous experience in scientific report writing (published paper a
plus)
-       Minimum 365 day commitment.

Salary

We will offer a 2-month trial to the best candidate, during which food and
accommodation
will be provided. You might not reach the end of the 2 months, but if you do
and we think
you are great, we might start to pay you before the end of the trial. Payment
will depend
on your commitment and ability to carry out the project. If you're hired, you
will be
provided with food, accommodation and a salary for a minimum 12 month period.
More
information about the wage will be given further in the application process.

Work place

You will live and work on Koh Seh, Kep Province, Cambodia, a small near desert
Island
where our only neighbor is a Marine Police outpost. The MCC team is ready to
act 24/7 all
year round to stop destructive fishing and support local fishermen in the
Archipelago. You
will be expected to contribute to the project 5 days a week. The place where
you work is
also the place you live in, and it is up to you to manage your own schedule.

Potential impact of your work

By joining MCC team, you will have the opportunity to participate directly in
the
protection and restoration of the ocean. For the past 10 years MCC has
pioneered marine
research and conservation in Cambodia. Even with all our hard work, many places
remain
uncharted and we need help to fill the knowledge gap about Cambodian marine
ecosystems. Your work will have a direct impact on the health of the seahorse
population,
as well as producing the first scientific reports on Syngnathidae in the Kep
Archipelago.
This is a unique opportunity to fill a huge data deficiency gap for Cambodia &
South East
Asia.

Marine Conservation Cambodia Background

MCC has been protecting Cambodia’s ocean since 2008. We were the very first
organization to actively work on the ground in marine conservation in Cambodia.
After
helping to establish a Marine Fisheries Management Area (MFMA) and being joined
on
site by other organizations, we were invited by the Cambodian Government to
locate to
the wild East coast of Cambodia where no conservation work was being done and
protection was deeply needed. Since we arrived in 2013, incredible changes have
occurred. Marine life is returning way faster than we could have dreamed of.

We have a unique marine environment here: biggest concentration of seahorses in
Cambodia, formerly one of the largest seagrass meadows of Southeast Asia,
fringing
reefs. These ecosystems are very fragile and under a lot of pressure. A lack of
knowledge
on their state and development has long impeded a responsible management of the
area.
MCC is literally producing the baseline data for the marine ecosystems in Kep.
Moreover,
our long-lasting collaboration with the small-scale fishermen brought us an
awareness of
the most pressing issues encountered by them and the ocean of Kep province.
This
partnership allows us to work towards ensuring a long-term sustainable
livelihood for
those fishermen and the future generation.

Thanks to our experience, we developed a growing and unrivalled ability to
engage with,
inform and influence Cambodian environmental and marine conservation policy and
public
debate, not just locally but nationally. Consequently, the MCC recommendation
for the
creation of a second Marine Fisheries Management Area (MFMA) in Cambodia (the
first in
Kep Province), was approved by the Royal Government of Cambodia and became
official
in April 2018. Most of all, it will be a way to support and empower small-scale
fishing
people and communities, who for generations have primarily relied upon local
marine
resources for their food and livelihoods.

MCC has been researching seahorses since its creation, in 2008. Kep
Archipelago, and
particularly Koh Seh, have become areas of significant importance for seahorses
in
Cambodia. Currently, our core team has to be focused on the implementation and
demarcation of Kep's new Marine Fisheries Management Area. MCC has already
collected
3 years of data about abundance, diversity, species distribution and
identification. Your
job will be to take our work to the next level.

How to apply

Send a cover letter as an email to seahorseconservat...@gmail.com, and attach a
resume. Our internet connection isn't great, so please keep attachments small.
This is a
vacant position to be filled immediately. All applications will be accepted
until the position
is filled.