The University of Oregon Institute of Ecology and Evolution
(http://ie2.uoregon.edu) and the Department of Biology invite applications
for a tenure-track position (Assistant Professor) in ecology. Candidates
should use computational and/or theoretical tools to address fundamental
concepts in ecology using large and/or heterogeneous datasets. We are
especially interested in candidates who build on the University of Oregon’s
current strengths in terrestrial ecology, and who work across spatial and/or
temporal scales. Successful candidates may work at or across a variety of
ecological scales, including populations, communities, and ecosystems.

This search is one of nearly a dozen associated with the Presidential
Initiative in Data Science at the University of Oregon. This initiative
spurs intentional growth in research and education using big data and
cutting-edge analytics across the entire campus (see
https://provost.uoregon). We are building a cross-disciplinary data science
program on a foundation of strong interdisciplinary research and innovative
education at a liberal arts research university. We seek scholars excited to
contribute to the program’s growth through excellence in a specific academic
focus, as well as through interdisciplinary collaborations across data
science writ large. Data Science is supported by the university’s
multi-million dollar investment in the recently launched Talapas
supercomputing cluster that is a centerpiece of Research Advanced Computing
Services (https://hpcf.uoregon.edu). The Data Science Initiative will also
have synergies with the Knight Campus for Accelerating Impact
(https://accelerate.uoregon.edu), itself recently launched by a $500 million
dollar lead gift from Phil and Penny Knight.

An outstanding research program and a commitment to excellence in teaching
at the undergraduate and graduate levels are expected. We particularly
welcome applications from scholars who are from groups historically
underrepresented in the academy, and/or who have experience working with
students from diverse backgrounds. Ph.D. required. Salary is competitive.

For more information and application instructions visit:
http://careers.uoregon.edu/cw/en-us/job/522377/assistant-professor-of-biologydata-science.
The application consists of a cover letter including how the candidate will
contribute to our work in mentoring, research, teaching, and outreach with
women, first-generation students, communities of color, and other
underrepresented groups; a curriculum vitae including a publication list; a
statement of research accomplishments and future research plans; a
description of teaching experience and philosophy; a statement on promoting
diversity and inclusion; and three letters of recommendation (sent
independently). Submission of 1-3 selected reprints is encouraged. Deadline
is November 1, 2018; position open until filled.