FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT: Anthony A. Lapham River Conservation Fellow
LOCATION:   Washington, D.C.
DATE:  Summer 2019 – Summer 2021
APPLICATIONS DUE:  January 31, 2019
ANNUAL STIPEND:  $43,000. Eligible for health and dental insurance; generous
leave benefits.
WAGE CATEGORY:  Nonexempt

ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS:
Named one of the best groups to support in 2017 by “Outside” magazine, American
Rivers protects wild rivers, restores damaged rivers, and conserves clean water
for people and nature. Since 1973, American Rivers has protected and restored
more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground
projects, and an annual America’s Most Endangered Rivers® campaign.
Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country
and more than 275,000 members, supporters and volunteers. American Rivers
maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and
balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org

American Rivers embraces and celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion in all
that we do. Rivers Connect Us is more than just our tagline. The beauty of
rivers is that they connect all people and communities, and we seek to build
and embody this diversity in our organization and throughout the conservation
field. The life experiences, knowledge, innovation, and talent that each
individual brings to our work provides perspectives, experiences, and
competencies which are critical to our effectiveness in protecting wild rivers,
restoring damaged rivers, and conserving clean water for people and nature.

POSITION SUMMARY:
The Anthony A. Lapham River Conservation Fellowship at American Rivers provides
an excellent professional development opportunity for talented post-graduates
pursuing careers as leaders in the field of conservation advocacy. Recent
graduate degree (MA/MS/PhD/JD/MBA) recipients will focus on an applied research
project that will make a tangible contribution to American Rivers’ mission.
Working with a team of professional staff, the Fellow will apply practical
research and advocacy skills and develop a network of professional contacts in
their field of expertise. The Fellow will be an integral part of a dynamic
organization comprised of experienced conservationists and emerging leaders,
and will participate in a range of river conservation activities.

This fellowship honors the memory of Anthony A. Lapham who served for many
years on the board of American Rivers, including as its Chairman. The program
reflects his integrity, intellect, concern for humanity, and commitment to
excellence. We seek candidates who possess these qualities.

FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS:
The goals of the Anthony A. Lapham Fellowship Program are to develop the next
generation of conservation leaders, and to generate work products that directly
support the mission and goals of American Rivers. Advancements in river
conservation will be especially important during the coming years due to the
extreme pressure on rivers, headwater streams and freshwater supplies brought
on by climate change, population growth and demographic change, and
development. We need to develop the next generation of skilled leaders who can
promote practical environmental solutions that achieve measurable results for
natural and human communities.

The Lapham Fellow will help shape community-oriented solutions to river
conservation challenges, educate civic leaders about the benefits of healthy
rivers, inform legislative and legal proceedings, and influence opinion
leaders. The Fellowship includes the implementation of a project that directly
supports the goals of one or more of American Rivers’ conservation programs.

The Fellow’s project will contribute to our efforts in one of our priority
basins and fall within one of three categories: (1) Sustainably managing
freshwater resources, with an emphasis of securing supply and water quality for
communities while maintaining flow, water quality, and connectivity of river
systems; (2) restoring rivers (through approaches such as dam removal and
reoperation) and achieving natural flood protection by restoring the natural
functions of rivers, wetlands and floodplains; or (3) conserving America’s
heritage by protecting our remaining free-flowing rivers and connecting
communities to their rivers.

Projects might include exploration of the potential of particular river
conservation strategies; economic analysis of the contributions of healthy
rivers to employment, property values, public health and safety and other
community priorities; the impacts of poorly managed rivers on water supply,
flooding or public safety; or the potential for certain policy prescriptions or
best management practices to contribute to river health and community welfare.
The topics are developed based on the needs of the organization and the
interests of the successful Fellowship candidate. The Fellow will publish
results in an appropriate format and present their project results to various
audiences including American Rivers’ staff. For more information and to view a
complete list of the priority river basins, go to
https://www.americanrivers.org/anthony-a-lapham-river-conservation-fellow/

The 24-month Fellowship will be supported by a team of conservation staff and
members of our Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee, which includes some
of the nation’s foremost experts on freshwater conservation science and policy.
Conducting an applied research project under the guidance of expert advocates
will provide the Fellow with invaluable experience as they begin their career.
In general, the first year of the Fellowship is spent researching the decided
project, and the second year is spent implementing the project on the ground.
Based on the parameters of the project and available resources, there is the
potential for opportunities to travel to the river basin that is the focus of
the project or even to be relocated in the second year.

Fellows will be provided with opportunities for professional experiences unique
to Washington, DC, including legal and policy, economic, and scientific
analysis of federal legislation and proposed rules, lobbying training,
participation in meetings with congressional offices and federal agency
officials, and attendance at congressional hearings, federal court proceedings,
etc. Additionally, Fellows will engage in organizational activities including
staff meetings and retreats and National River Cleanup activities.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
•       Graduate degree in environmental science, stream ecology, hydrology,
geomorphology, public health, public policy, law, natural resource economics,
engineering, or related fields
•       Dedication to environmental principles
•       Extensive research and analysis skills
•       High academic achievement
•       Proven leadership ability
•       Effective verbal and written communication skills
•       High degree of personal integrity
•       Exceptional interpersonal skills
•       Ability to work both autonomously and as a member of a team in a
professional environment
•       Ability to travel as necessary

APPLICATION DETAILS can be found at:
https://www.americanrivers.org/anthony-a-lapham-river-conservation-fellow/

Questions? Please visit our FAQ page.

Application Deadline: 11:59 pm EST January 31, 2019

American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.