?

PhD opportunity - Microplastics

The Institute of Marine Science (IMS) and the School of Environment at the
University of Auckland are looking for an excellent and highly motivated
scientist with keen interests in the fundamental processes that may affect the
distribution and fate of microplastics and their effect on various soft
sediment ecosystem functions.

We are offering a fully funded interdisciplinary PhD project to investigate the
interactions between microphytobenthos (MPB), microplastics in soft sediments
and biological and physical processes at the sediment-water interface.

Desired skills and experience

This project is interdisciplinary therefore experience in experimental research
(field and laboratory) in the areas of environmental engineering and/or benthic
ecology would be highly desirable, as well as a motivated mindset.

A mixture of field surveys and manipulative experiments, flume experiments and
the development of a machine-learning model may be used to couple various
biological and physical processes to microplastic distribution and benthic
ecosystem functioning.

The candidate is expected to develop their own research goals with the help of
the PI Dr Julie Anne Hope (IMS). The candidate will also benefit from the
additional support of Assoc. Prof Giovanni Coco (CO-I, School of Environment)
and Prof. Simon Thrush (CO-I, IMS) during different phases of the project. Work
may be based between the city campus and/or the Leigh Marine Laboratory on the
North Island of New Zealand.

To apply for this position, potential candidates should send a cover letter, a
short research proposal for this project with details of the research that they
would like to do (1 page max) and an up to date CV to Jaime Rowntree,
jaime.rownt...@auckland.ac.nz<mailto:jaime.rownt...@auckland.ac.nz>.

Background information on the Institute of Marine Science and life at The
University of Auckland can be found at:
www.marine.auckland.ac.nz/en.html<http://www.marine.auckland.ac.nz/en.html>,
www.science.auckland.ac.nz/phd<http://www.science.auckland.ac.nz/phd>,
www.international.auckland.ac.nz<http://www.international.auckland.ac.nz/>