The Hurford Lab (http://amyhurford.weebly.com/) at Memorial University is
recruiting graduate students at both the M.Sc. and Ph.D. levels. Our research
group studies population dynamics incorporating temperature effects, animal
movement, disease, and evolution. We formulate and test specific hypothesis
using mathematical models and parameterize and evaluate our models using data.
We analyze mathematical models that are systems of ordinary differential
equations, delay differential equations, partial differential equations,
integrodifference equations, or optimization problems and these models are
applied to a wide variety of systems including green crab, rabies, and salmon
lice. Specific research projects may include optimal pest treatment strategies
in seasonal environments, temperature effects on population dynamics and
movement, explicit models of animal movement and contact rates, or
collaborative work deriving models related to laboratory research on antibiotic
resistance in Klebsiella. Our research usually involves computer coding and
numerical methods and many scripts pertaining to lab research are available
here: https://amyhurford.weebly.com/publications.html

The salary will be $18,000 (MSc) or $20,000 (PhD) annually with additional
funding available for conference travel. Tuition information is available here:
https://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/programs/biology.php. The ideal candidate
will have experience deriving and analyzing mathematical models, formulating
scientific questions, computer programming, mathematical analysis, and
scientific writing, however, all interested candidates are encouraged to apply.

Applicants should email Dr. Amy Hurford (ahurf...@mun.ca). This email should
include: (i) 1-2 paragraphs describing your research interests and any relevant
past experience, (ii) your CV, and (iii) unofficial transcripts pertaining to
your previous or ongoing studies (if possible). I will consider applications as
they are received. For full consideration applicants should indicate their
interest before February 15, 2019, but applications received after this date
may be considered.

Memorial University is located in St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada. The city
offers many unique experiences with a vibrant arts community, stunning
coastline, and proximity to a variety of outdoor activities (hiking, fishing,
cross-country skiing, etc: http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com).