PhD position available in New Zealand – Kaikoura region abalone (paua)
population genetics based on GBS-derived SNPs

The position - A 3-year PhD position is available in the laboratory of Prof.
Jonathan Gardner (Victoria University of Wellington, NZ), working in
conjunction with Dr. Tom McCowan (Paua Industry Council, NZ) and Rob Elshire
(The Elshire Group, NZ). The PhD position has a start date of early/mid 2019 or
soon thereafter.
The project - Our group has received full research-only funding from Seafood
Innovations Limited for this paua (abalone – Haliotis iris) population genetics
SNPs project.

The November 2016 Kaikoura earthquake had devastating effects on paua (abalone)
populations resulting in the ongoing closure of the fishery for this locally
important species. The catch reductions resulting from the closure are worth
approximately $3 million annually to the quota holders, as well as loss of
customary and recreational fishing opportunities. It is critical that best
available information is used to inform management decisions about when and at
what level this fishery is re-opened to ensure its future sustainability.
Research programs to monitor both adult and juvenile paua recovery are
currently being undertaken to inform management decisions. A critical gap in
the current monitoring is an understanding of where the new recruits come from
that contribute to population recovery and the spatial scales that are
biologically relevant for future management.

Development of next-generation molecular markers called SNPs (single nucleotide
polymorphisms) for paua and subsequent genetic analyses will enable a greater
understanding of the patterns and processes for paua population recovery. The
recent development of genotyping-by-sequencing (GBS) means that SNP development
is achievable, even for “non-model” species such as paua. Population–specific
genetic diversity will be used to quantify the magnitude of genetic bottlenecks
in northern South Island paua populations resulting from the earthquake, and in
neighbouring populations outside the affected area. Analyses across different
cohorts will enable sources of recruitments to be identified from within and
beyond the affected region. Together these analyses will assist in reducing the
risk in decision making around the appropriate levels and timing for the
fishery to be re-opened, to recover commercial losses from the fishery closure
and to provide for sustainable recreational and customary fishing.

The timing - We are looking for an outstanding candidate whom we can support
through the VUW PhD scholarship application scheme, to ensure that the person
secures a stipend and full fees remission. The next round of VUW PhD
scholarship applications closes on 1st March 2019, so we aim to identify
someone before that date.

The ideal candidate – We are looking for a student with a background in
population genetics and/or bioinformatics and an interest in applying SNPs to a
marine invertebrate coastal fishery. Because we will need to support the
candidate through the VUW PhD scholarship application process we need an
academically strong candidate (GPA of >85%). We will give preference to
candidates with a Masters level degree and also with previous experience of
working with GBS and/or SNPs data sets.

This PhD position is open to all nationalities (i.e., the successful applicant
does not have to be a NZ citizen). However, an international student (i.e.,
non-NZ and non-Australian) will require a NZ student visa to be allowed to
study in NZ. In the normal course of events this is not a problem given that
the student in question will be supported by VUW. But the visa application
process can take several weeks to a few months. We understand this, and this is
not a problem. The actual start date is therefore negotiable if the student is
“international” and requires a student visa.

For candidates whose first language is not English, a TOEFL or equivalent exam
pass is required.
The work location – Most of the 3 year PhD position will be based in
Wellington, but there will be an opportunity to work with Rob Elshire in
Palmerston North, which is about 2 hours’ drive north of Wellington. On a day
to day basis the successful candidate will be based at Victoria University of
Wellington. The NZ Paua Industry Council (PIC) is also based in Wellington. An
opportunity exists to visit the field sites and to help PIC divers collect paua
samples.

For general enquiries please email – jonathan.gard...@vuw.ac.nz

Applications – Applications from suitably qualified individuals should be
submitted to jonathan.gard...@vuw.ac.nz, before the closing date of 31st
January 2019. Applications should consist of:
A cover letter outlining why you are interested in the position and how you
meet the candidate selection criteria (Masters level degree preferred;
experience with GBS and/or SNPs; GPA of > 85%; English language test results if
English is not your first language).
A full CV, including evidence of any published papers or reports.
A copy of your most up to date University transcripts showing evidence of
degrees awarded, grades for individual courses taken, and an assessment of your
GPA.
Names and email addresses of two referees who may be approached to provide
letters of support for your application. Your referees should be familiar with
you and with your research career.

Further general information
Victoria University of Wellington - www.vuw.ac.nz
VUW Scholarships - www.victoria.ac.nz/study/student-finance/scholarships
International students, studying at VUW, Wellington -
https://www.victoria.ac.nz/international
Jonathan Gardner, Victoria University of Wellington
https://www.victoria.ac.nz/sbs/about/staff/jonathan-gardner
https://scholar.google.co.nz/citations?user=u2hc4JIAAAAJ&hl=en

Tom McCowan, Paua Industry Council NZ
http://www.paua.org.nz/ and also https://www.facebook.com/PauaIndustryCouncil/

Rob Elshire, Director, The Elshire Group Ltd.
https://elshiregroup.co.nz