National Gardening Magazine has a email newsletter and the last
issue talked about trees.  Here is some info. about this:

  The Gardenwire, to subscribe send: "subscribe gardenwire"
              to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 How to Buy and Plant a Tree
Ensure your tree's health and longevity
http://www.garden.org/redirect/tree_health.html

Fall Tree Care
Follow-up care for your trees
http://www.garden.org/redirect/tree_care.html

Trust assists groups across the country in their tree planting and
environmental education programs by providing seedling, monetary, and
educational grants. If your organization is interested in greening-up the
neighborhood with trees, check out the opportunities offered by the
National Tree Trust by visiting the website at

<http://www.nationaltreetrust.org>

National Gardening Association
http://www.garden.org
The place on the web where gardeners exchange seeds:
http://www.garden.org/swaps/seedswap.asp

Here in zone 7 most of the orchard trees are fruiting and we are
buried in fruit.  This is now the 8th year of a plant and neglect
experiment where trees are given little care and only the hardest
trees are kept.  Each year the results are a little different, and here
are this years conclusions:

 1. Apples have wide diversity and are very site specific.  If the right
     tree is placed in the right spot it will not be bothered by much of
     anything.  In one spot i have an apple which is covered with insects,
     and other diseases.  Next to it is a disease free tree which is
      has never had problems.

 2.  For small orchards the smaller grafted trees are  hard to beat.  But,
      for trees that are marginal in an area i think larger trees may be
      a better choice.  Some people claim that trees on dwarfing rootstock
       have roughly the same hardiness as a full size, but my observations
       of stressed trees leads me to other conclusions.

Some easy to grow trees that we grew from seed.  Chestnuts, oak,
apple.  The oak and chestnut produced a tree like the parent, but
the apple has too much diversity built in its seed.  All three trees
produced edible fruit.

 ----

jeff owens, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.teleport.com/~kowens
     underground house, solar power, self-reliance, edible landscape
to leave ecopath:  unsubscribe ecopath -> [EMAIL PROTECTED]