On Saturday, January 26, 2002, at 07:33 PM, Rob S. wrote:

> Here's the first few lines of the file... note how there's no "encoding"
> attribute in the processing instruction, even though I've used a
> constructor specifying it.

hi rob

this explanation is going to sound a little obscure...

the codeset specified in the constructor is not equivalent in meaning to
the (xml) encoding of the document. the codeset is used to determine the
default encoding that's used to output the document. (this is not
sufficient to ensure that this encoding will actually be used.) you should
really be able to set the encoding attribute but at the moment how to do
it is a bit obscure (to me). if this is important to you, i'll take a look
into it.

- robert