Hi Dominique,

Chuck Hallenbeck wrote on Fri, Jul 20, 2018:
My daughter with her Windows laptop created an account for me on
fastmail.com successfully.  The kapcha took a form I have never seen
before.  Instead of an image to copy to an input field,  it took the
form of a series of statements to click on, each of them reading:

I am not a robot

These are google reCAPTCHA, most people only see this box... As an
annoying user I get various image challenges (for example displays a
grid of images and pick the ones with cars, street signs, store fronts
etc)

Amazing. I had no idea.

There also are audio challenges which aren't easy either, it's a track
full of white noise and someone speaking difficult words with a strong
accent -- I just tried two and I can't say I understood what they said,

Me too. I often fail to hear them correctly.

so maybe I'm a robot?

I doubt it. Robots are not that helpful.

On my linux desktop, I entered:

edbrowse www.fastmail.net

That's a typo. I entered www.fastmail.com, actually.

and got their opening page again. Selecting the Log In link this
time instead of the Sign Up link, I got to a page that said "3 lines
were replaced by line 1" and the page before me was one line long,
with no printable characters on that line.

The 3 lines before that one empty line are:
Sorry, your browser does not support the technologies needed to use our web
interface.
Please make sure you have the latest version, and that JavaScript is enabled.
{Learn more about our browser requirements}.

There was a time not too many years ago when messages like the above
were much more blunt, often ending with "It really sucks being you!"

I think there is no such thing as app-specific requirement. They say it
works with thunderbird and there is no magic there, so
mutt/alpine/edbrowse should work if we can get to the app password -
it's just a password specific to imap/smtp that they call that way to
differenciate it with the web interface password.

interesting.

I'll admit I didn't try though, I stopped when they started asking for
my phone number and my curiosity stops when I have to give personal
information to these companies, but if you're willing to try maybe you
can ask your daughter to generate that password for you as well. I
believe that once it's setup it should work for classic imap/smtp and
shouldn't change

That might be worth a try.  I appreciate your attention, and
suggestions. Thanks.

Chuck

--
Here too, In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.