yes, there are people who mischaracterize their skills EDI skills. Sometimes it goes definition of EDI.
The most basic definition is all the EDI does is translate and transport. So, given very detailed specifications, experience in writing maps, and perhaps a bit communications knowledge, lots of folks can do EDI. Yet, in my experience, EDI has meant A LOT more, including back end system fuctional requirements gathering, performing GAP analyses (between internal systems and between internal funcationality and client requirements, etcl.), writing maps, writing script requirements for perl/shell programmers, documentatation writing, and post prodution follow-up, to mention some activities. The problem I see is that few people bring both industry business knowledge and EDI fundamentals to the table. It seems like that in many cases, either you got to let the contractor go, or train the individual. Gary Gary > > From: "Dan Mehlhorn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Date: 2004/10/28 Thu AM 11:16:37 EDT > To: "EDI-L Listserv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Subject: RE: [EDI-L] Dealing with less skilled EDI folks > > > Oh, Anne, > > This can be such a sore spot. There are times I felt I was teaching EDI > over the phone and E-mail. To kill the pain, maybe try Korean soju. As a > practical answer, there really isn't one. I've had times where I had to > tell the partner if they can't follow our implementation guide or read the > X12 specs, please put me in touch with a person that will. > > I end up doing a lot of debugging on test documents before my programmers > get their hands on the test files. > > The basic problem is that people have bluffed their way into the job or > have been volunteered for the job. I have more patience with people who are > thrown into the job than I do a bluffer. A bluffer you can't do much with. > People who are thrown into the job are more willing to listen if you explain > things to them slowly and point out the probable problems they will > encounter. > > Don't know if this helps. > > Dan > > -----Original Message----- > From: Anne Williams > > > Hi Group, > > I wanted to get a quick response about how best to deal with contracted EDI > folks who obviously either have not done much EDI or are not skilled at it > but try to bluff their way through & send many tests through that are not > even attempting to be close to the spec's or even pass X12 validation. > > I have asked several times to not have the person send me bad data, but to > ask questions. When the questions come they are not specific like in what > Segment. > > Any ideas to make this less painful for me? > > Thank You > > > > > . > Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, > <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC> > Access the list online at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion Toolbar. Now with Pop-Up Blocker. Get it for free! http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/OIFolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> . Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, <JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC> Access the list online at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
