Mike/Rachel

I am another person on Steering who has expressed concern about the Bylaws
and the OPM.

I am concerned about the two provisions Rachel cited in her email.  I don't
see how ANSI could approve our OPM with a clause in it that states that the
Bylaws override the OPM.  I voted against the SDO Accreditation ballot Mike
mentioned, but there were only two (if I recall correctly, maybe 3)
disapprovals (Peter Randlev was another).  My objection was "While I approve
of the move to an SDO, I do not believe that the current ASC X12 Bylaws are
acceptable."  The response from the Chair to my negative vote was "This
letter acknowledges your comment has been received and your opinion noted."

I have other issues with the Bylaws which include and are not limited to:
the ASC X12 BoD could change the Bylaws at any time so long as a 15 day
notice is given (section 12.06); the Corporation will permit and/or license
use of copyright materials according to the Corporation's copyright
policies, which may require a licensing fee as established by the Board
(section 12.04); and numerous duties currently under the purview of the
Steering Committee are being moved to the ASC X12 BoD.  Basically all dues,
publication, and licensing fees are now the sole responsibility of the BoD
which does not have any requirement for balance in membership.  There is
nothing I can find in the Bylaws that even suggests input from the Steering
Committee.  In fact the Bylaws include the follow:  "Notwithstanding the
foregoing, the Steering Committee shall not exercise any power or authority
reserved to the Board by the Articles, these Bylaws, the Virginia Nonstock
Corporation Act or other applicable law."  In other words, if the BoD
approves a change to the Bylaws to include a duty that the Steering
Committee is currently responsible for, that duty is automatically
transferred from the Steering Committee to the BoD.

And also I agree with Rachel, the membership has not been kept fully in the
loop, although to be fair the Chair has disagreed with me numerous times
over this topic.  For example, I would have preferred that the membership
vote on incorporation, before we incorporated.

I would urge everyone to review both the OPM and Bylaws and provide any
comments to ANSI.

Doug