> Hi, all,
>
> Control number data elements in ISA, IEA, GS, and GE are of type N0 with max
> of 9 characters. However, ST and SE control number
> type is AN with 4 to9 characters.
>
> Anyone has a good answer?  Is "ABCD" a good control number?

Well, if the question is, "did I read all that correctly?" the answer is yes.

If the question is "Should I go ahead and use 'ABCD' as the (transaction set)
control number?" then the answer is, "No!. Don't do
that! You will have at least half your partners who believe this element to be
numeric and you will end up changing it anyway!"

(I have been doing this thirty years and have *never* seen a TS control number
use anything but numeric digits).

See also Segment HL, elements one and two. Those are AN 12 elements, but I've
never seen those use anything but numeric digits for
those elements, either!

HTH
MCM

<*> Your email settings: