Because your trading partner will have their own ideas and in the real world
one must work with trading partners while attempting to educate them rather
than butting one's head against the wall.  Also, just because a field is
alphanumeric it does not mean that only alpha or only numeric characters must
be used, it simply means that both are allowed.  Therefore, a string of numbers
only is just as valid as a string of alpha characters or a string of both.
Since the purpose of the ST control number (in my opinion) is to indicate
position in the GS as well as "count" them, numeric makes the most sense to my
human brain.  Alpha would work ok up to 26, but then one would either need to
start adding numbers or AA, AB, AC or would it be AA, BA, CA?  And, would AA
come after Z or would my translator somehow put AA after A and then B?  You see
the point here, once you get outside the "box" of straight numbering, there are
too many variables for easy
 integration.  Having said this, I don't know any translator that would
automatically check for sequence in ST control numbers and a person could
figure it out, as this would likely only be done in the case of an error.  In
that case, why make it harder on your TP?  Pretty much everyone uses Arabic
numbers and can count, if they're in this business.

I have seen trading partners use a numeric format of the ISA or GS control
number followed by 0001, 0002, etc as the ST/SE control numbers and I have seen
other numeric permutations used.  I've also seen alpha characters in GS control
numbers, but not yet in ST/SE.  Unless you count spaces, which you should, as
they're technically "alpha".  IMHO any decent translator should be able to deal
with ST*856*   1'  for example and not require ST*856*0001', although I have
run into issues with that before, as well.

Leah