On 2015-08-18 03:57:51, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> On 17 August 2015 at 20:53, Jordan Justen <jordan.l.jus...@intel.com> wrote:
> > On 2015-08-17 11:25:56, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> >> MinGW generates PE/COFF not ELF, so much of the linker command line is
> >> different, and it really deserves a toolchain of its own
> >
> > Why does it deserve a toolchain of its own if the other toolchain
> > produces better code? Why should EDK II care about using the different
> > linker path if it isn't the best recommended way to build images?
> >

> By the same logic, why on earth do we insist on retaining support for
> GCC44 and GCC45?

Last time I checked, GCC44 ~ GCC49 all produced images roughly in the
same ball park size-wise. UNIXGCC produced much larger images because
it could not strip unused functions/data.

Personally, I would not mind deprecating GCC44, but the biggest
question I would have is what toolchains do the latest UDK releases
claim to support.

We also have the issue that every time I ask about deprecating a
toolchain, Larry looks at me like I'm crazy. :)

> Note that it is not about the linker path, but about the options that
> we pass, for instance to get 4 KB section alignment. MinGW does not
> need a linker script for this, you can simply set --section-alignment
> and --file-alignment on the command line.
>
> As for the PE/COFF support: if you are incorporating PE/COFF binary
> static libraries into your build, you need a native PE/COFF toolchain.

Is this something we want to support?

> But in general, I think the ELF to PE/COFF conversion is not the most
> elegant step in the build, and I would prefer to avoid it if possible
> (only, there is no PE/COFF support in the GNU tools for ARM or
> AARCH64)

It is doing a better job than any other GCC based option we have.

Certainly LTO will be a big change for our GCC based builds. If
somehow LTO support is finally integrated into EDK II and manages to
directly produce a PE/COFF image easily on Linux, then I don't think
ELF is needed.

-Jordan