Hello,

Thank you all for your insights.

You advised me to use the scripts from [1].
I did so following this guide [2] (thank you also for putting it back up!), with the minor adaptions that I made the script python3-compatible[3], and applied the patches mentioned in [2] manually. I assume they failed because they could only be applied to older versions of the files to be patched.

In particular, I added the line DebugPkg/GdbSyms/GdbSyms.inf right below line OvmfPkg/PlatformDxe/Platform.inf in line 830 of the vUDK2018 release. That makes sense, right?

The guide looks promising; I think this would give me everything I need.
However I ran into a problem when executing
(gdb) reload-uefi -o ./Build/OvmfX64/DEBUG_GCC5/X64/DebugPkg/GdbSyms/GdbSyms/DEBUG/GdbSyms.dll

gdb complained:
Python Exception <class 'gdb.error'> No type named EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE_POINTER.: Error occurred in Python command: No type named EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE_POINTER.

The EFI_SYSTEM_TABLE_POINTER is defined in [WORKSPACE]/MdeModulePkg/Core/Dxe/Misc/DebugImageInfo.c, so I'm guessing I lack that file respectively its corresponding module.

I compiled OVMF with nice OvmfPkg/build.sh -a X64 -n $(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN).

If you could tell me whether my guess make sense and how I would include [WORKSPACE]/MdeModulePkg/Core/Dxe/Misc/DebugImageInfo.c, that would be great.

Kind regards,
Johannes

[1]: https://github.com/andreiw/andreiw-wip.git
[2]: https://code.bluestop.org/w/tianocore/debugging-with-gdb/