> On Jun 14, 2018, at 5:35 PM, Robinson, Herbie <herbie.robin...@stratus.com>
> wrote:
>
> I have been tasked with implementing EFI boot in our VOS operating system (in
> a panic, nobody bothered to tell us ahead of time that legacy boot was being
> dropped from the BIOS on our latest hardware).  I think we have a pretty good
> handle on writing the bootloader, but I can't find any solid information on
> creating an empty EFI System Partition bearing the correct flavor of FAT32 to
> put the bootloader in.  I need to end up with a binary image file (which I
> can process into an object module and embed into our OS code for initializing
> disks).

Herbie,

It is "bog standard" FAT3", see Microsoft Extensible Firmware Initiative FAT32
File System Specification
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi_g6P8ttTbAhUCE3wKHQMHC24QFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F1%2F6%2F1%2F161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c%2Ffatgen103.doc&usg=AOvVaw2NwPT7yLI0sIcY1mEmzrbe>

The OS loader is just an EFI Executable in file. So any old FAT32 tools will
do.

So are you looking for EFI tools to do GPT partitioning and FAT32 file system
creation?

Thanks,

Andrew Fish