Everything you need is in what you wrote.

You do understand that "z" is the usual shorthand for "a standard score",
and that a standard score is the representation of a given raw score as
its deviation from the population mean in standard-deviation units?

The rest is merely a lookup in a table of the standard normal
distribution.  (I find it to be somewhat less than 0.15%, though.)
                                                -- DFB.

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jan Sjogren wrote:

> SAT scores are approximately normal with mean 500 and a standard
> devotion 100.  Scores of 800 or higher are reported as 800, so a
> perfect paper is not required to score 800 on the SAT.  What percent
> of students who take the SAT score 800?
>
> The answer to this question shall be: SAT scores of 800+ correspond
> to z>3; this is 0.15%.
>
> Please help me understand this.  I don't understand how I get that
> z>3??? and that it is 0.15%?

 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128