well, this is a tricky sort of ? .... if in fact, all REAL scores that
actually convert to a SAT value ... anything = to or > than 800 are listed
as ... 800 ... then, the ? really can't be ... what is the p value for
having 800 or more ... has to be what is the p value for 800

but, the question being asked is probably wanting you to assume that scores
could go larger than 800 ... so, for all practical purposes ... it amounts
to a ? of 800 or more ...

minitab would say:

MTB > cdf 800;
SUBC> norm 500 100.

Cumulative Distribution Function

Normal with mean = 500.000 and standard deviation = 100.000

          x    P( X <= x )
   800.0000        0.9987

MTB > let k1=1-.9987
MTB > prin k1

Data Display

K1    0.00130000
MTB > let k2=100*k1
MTB > prin k2

Data Display

K2    0.130000 ... as a percent ... about .13 of ONE percent ... about the
value you have as the answer
MTB >

At 08:23 PM 4/2/01 +0000, Jan Sjogren wrote:
>SAT scores are approximately normal with mean 500 and a standard
>devotion 100. Scores of 800 or higher are reported as 800, so a perfect
>paper is not required to score 800 on the SAT. What percent of students
>who take the SAT score 800?
>
>The answer to this question shall be: SAT scores of 800+ correspond to
>z>3; this is 0.15%.
>
>Please help me understand this. I dont understand how I get that z>3???
>and that it is 0.15%?
>
>Thanks for help

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm