At 10:33 AM 12/6/99 -0700, Alex Yu wrote:

>Disadvantages of non-parametric tests:

seems to me that before one lists out "dis" advantages ... or for that
matter "ad" vantages ... one needs to be very clear on what one wants to
know about the target population ...
now, in some cases ... there might be several approximately equal
alternative parameters or pieces of population information that might be
sufficient for your purposes and, in that case ... then using some
technique with better power, etc. might be helpful. but, if we really are
interested in some element in the population BUT, the technique for
"inferencing" it happens to be non-parametric ... AND, it is that and ONLY
that that we are interested in ... then we might have to "give up on some
power" ...
208 Cedar Bldg., University Park, PA 16802
AC 814-863-2401    Email mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
WWW: http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm
FAX: AC 814-863-1002