"Donald F. Burrill" wrote:

> Comments embedded in original post...
>
> > Kenneth Benoit wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps someone can help me with this problem.  I am trying to solve for
> > a number of parameters in three equations which are linked through
> > composition of the data.  each model yields different parameter
> > estimates when estimated alone since the parameters are overidentified.
> > I'd be happy for any advice on the problem!
> >
> > Ken Benoit

> > Kenneth Benoit                       http://benoit.tcd.ie
> > Department of Political Science     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Trinity College                       Tel: 353-1-608-2491
> > Dublin 2, Ireland                     Fax: 353-1-677-0546
>
> > Consider a system where:
> >
> >      Y1 =   X0        +   (1-g11)b1 X1 +       g21b2X2 +       g31b3X3
> >
> >      Y2 =      X4     +       g12b1 X1 +   (1-g22)b2X2 +       g32b3X3
> >
> >      Y3 =          X5 +       g13b1 X1 +       g23b2X2 +   (1-g33)b3X3
>
> It is not clear that this is possible.  From the constraints below,
>         Y1 + Y2 + Y3 = X0 + X4 + X5 = 1;  it follows that the other 9
> terms must add to zero.  But the gij are all nonnegative, and from the
> description below so must be the bi;  then can X1, X2, and/or X3 be
> negative?  If not, then every one of the 9 terms must equal zero.
>
> > and:  (I take it that ³ means < or =. and " means 'for all')
> >
> > 1 = Y1 + Y2 + Y3, 0 ³ Yi ³ 1.0 "i
> > 1 = X0 + X4 + X5, 0 ³ Xi ³ 1.0 "i
> > 1 = g11 + g12 + g13, 0 ³ gij ³ 1.0 "i,j
> > 1 = g21 + g22 + g33
>                   ^^^  This should read  g23 ?
> > 1 = g31 + g32 + g33
> >
> > GOAL: To estimate g's and b's. Problems: overidentification; effects
> > of the data items and some of the parameters summing to 1 which I
> > still don't fully understand.
>
> > Background: This is for a voting transition study in Italy, where the
> > b's represent a the proportion of voters following a rational
> > proximity model, and the g's represent the discrete probability
> > distribution according to which non-rational voters distribute their
> > votes to one of three electoral coalitions (corresponding to the Y's).
>
> It is not clear to me why it is reasonable to multiply the g's by the
> b's.  Seems to be representing the proportion of (those voters who vote
> rationally) who are voting non-rationally, which on the face of it would
> seem to be a contradiction in terms.
>
> > I have data for all of the Y's and X's, which are proportions.
> >
> > Possible ways to simplify:
> >
> >    * Set gij's to constants before estimation.
> >    * Set gij = g* " i,j.
> >    * Set b3 = 1.
> >    * Set b1 = b2.

> > File translated fromTEXby TTH,version 2.56.
> > On 26 Nov 1999, 14:00.

>  Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
>  184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128

Hi and thanks very much for responding to my original post.  It took me
so long to respond because I was travelling.  I am still working on the
problem though and no closer to a solution of the original framework.
It's not an extremely complicated model but takes a long time to
explain.  If you are curious or willing to look more at the setup from
my original e-mail I'd be happy to mail you the 5-page working draft
with the model and also a brief explanation of the data and the voting
district structure.  I'll wait for word from you first before sending
anything.

Many thanks,

Ken