----- Original Message -----
From: Bob Parks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 6:44 AM
Subject: testing a coin flipper

> Consider the following problem (which has a real world
> problem behind it)
>
> You have 100 coins, each of which has a different
> probability of heads (assume that you know that
> probability or worse can estimate it).
>
> Each coin is labeled.  You ask one person (or machine
> if you will) to flip each coin a different number of times,
> and you record the number of heads.
Incidentally, I found that William Feller in chapter III (vol I) of his
classic book "An Introduction to Probability Theory and its Applications",
covers coin flipping nicely.

The sequence is treated as a random walk. The probability of the sign
reversal (i.e. heads is +1 and tails is -1) is low, indicating long
intervals between successive crossing of the axis. His Theorem 1 (page 84)
states that the probability (e), that up to epoch 2n+1 (n flips), there
occurs exactly r changes of sign equals 2 times the probability of the sum
of events being equal to 2r+1 in 2n+1 trials. (Involves the number of paths
to 2r+1 out of 2n+1 trials.)

His table on page 85 gives the probabilities of zero sign reversal in 99
trials as 0.1592, which is surprisingly high.

DAHeiser