I'm groping for some compelling graphical presentation of Expectation,
within an exponential family with a single real parameter would be more
than enough.

If, for example, I create a contour plot of Likelihood, given a real
sufficient statistic and a real parameter, then I can give a reasonably
compelling argument showing how the maximum likelihood estimator of the
parameter follows from the sufficient statistic, how these two relate.

What I would like to find is some analogous meaningful function of that
parameter and statistic, perhaps such that maximizing that function would
give a reasonably compelling argument showing how the expected value of
the sufficient statistic follows from the parameter.

I understand I can integrate x*f(x) over the domain and that this is the
definition of expectation.  All that is clear and understood.  I know that.
What I'm groping for would be some graphical presentation that I could do
that would be similar to the graphical presentation for MLE.

I have tried to do my homework.  I've looked through some of the journals.
I paged through "Statistical Methods: The Geometric Approach" by Saville
and Wood, thinking they might have given some graphical presentation of
expectation, but I didn't find it.

I realize I can craft up A function whose maxima accomplishes this.  But
I've not been able to see a meaningful function underlying this.  And I
thought that such a function might even give additional insight into
expectation somehow.

Can anyone offer some ideas?

Thank you
Don