----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

My American Heritage Talking Dictionary  on CD not only looked up said
latinism, but spoke  it as well.   Its corrected a number of pronunciations
for me.  Most recently schism.    In some cases it displays a picture or
map.

 I couldn't find "chicken with its head cut off"  but it did offer: "The
chickens have come home to roost[PROVERBS]The consequences of earlier actions
are making themselves felt."

----- End of forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

With all the hoopla over multimedia, a talking dictionary is one of
the few applications I've seen that has increased functionality
(rather than just a lot of decorations that slow things down).  I have
this version of AHD and probably should keep it in my CD drive.

If anyone wants to buy one, I have seen a number of versions with
prices all over the place.  Some do not talk, so watch out for that.
Mine is Copyright 1994, but packaging rarely tells you much about what
version you are getting.  I suspect the cheapest jewel-box-only
versions are not the latest, or are mute.

For about 20 times the price you can get the OED on CD-ROM.  It has
pages of stuff on chickens, but as far as I can see, all have their
heads firmly attached.

      _
     | |                    Robert W. Hayden
     | |          Work: Department of Mathematics
    /  |                Plymouth State College MSC#29
   |   |                Plymouth, New Hampshire 03264  USA
   | * |                fax (603) 535-2943
  /    |          Home: 82 River Street (use this in the summer)
 |     )                Ashland, NH 03217
 L_____/                (603) 968-9914 (use this year-round)
Map of New        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (works year-round)
Hampshire         http://mathpc04.plymouth.edu (works year-round)