Chuck Cleland wrote:

> Hello:
>   If I understand the concept correctly, a consistent statistic is one
> whose value approaches the population value as the sample size
> increases.  I am looking for examples of statistics that are _not_
> consistent.  The best examples would be statistics that are not
> computationally complex and could be understood by large and diverse
> audiences.

How about the universal counterexample, the mean of a Cauchy
distribution?  It's simple if you present it as the ratio of two
standard normal distributions.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
Metapopulation Research Group

tel: +358 9 191 7382  fax: +358 9 191 7301
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To induce catatonia, visit:
http://www.helsinki.fi/science/metapop/

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you
looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.  -
Poul Anderson