Aniko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
8t7bpp$iju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:8t7bpp$iju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> I need help breaking "kalma" into three syllables?-)
> >>

> >The first one is silent.
>
> I don't understand your problem. The accent is on the
_third_  syllable,
> that is on the first "o" in "Kalma_go_rov". It is usual to
put the stress
> mark ' in front of the accented syllable.
>
> On a related topic: I have always wondered about the
correct pronunciation
> of Chebysev.
> In Russia I heard it as Chebi_shov_, with the accent at
the end. It all
> reduces to the question of exact spelling in Russian: is
the second vowel an
> "e" or "umlaut e" (the one with two dots). Unfortunately
printed text do not
> distuinguish these letters. So, does anybody know which is
the correct
> spelling and pronunciation?
>
> Aniko

Correct pronunciation is Chebi_shov_, because he called
himself so. The problem is that "umlaut e" is rarely used in
writing so most Russian do not know correct pronunciation.

As for the spelling, I prefere Chebyshov.

           Alexander

    Alexander Tsyplakov
    Novosibirsk State University
    http://www.nsu.ru/ef/tsy/