In article <8tucis$5lk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <8trqbp$eg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> In article <8tr56a$gci$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> > Comments, please, on the relative merits of the standard textbooks:

[snip]

>> Depends on your purpose? Textbook for an introductory course? Self-
>> study? Reference?

>Self-study and reference. Though not a math major, I have a strong math
>background (PhD in Physics). Having switched careers (into mathematical
>finance), I need both deeper and broader capability in statistics.
>Ideally, I'd like a book which pays enough attention to clarity and
>comprehensibility to be useful for self-study, yet which is complete
>enough to be usable as a reference.

I would not say that any of these are complete enough.  However,
the new edition of Bickel and Doksum covers many topics almost
ignored in the others; it is fairly clear, and the difficulties
are more likely to be in the mathematics.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558