I can't say whether it any good, let alone the best. But I have just
seen the following on an archaeological post.

"UNESCO has released WinIDAMS 1.0 for 32-bit Windows operating system.
WinIDAMS is a freeware software package for numerical information
processing and statistical analysis. It provides a complete set of
data manipulation and validation facilities and a wide range of
classical and advanced statistical techniques, including interactive
construction of multidimensional tables, graphical exploration of data
and time series analysis.

You can find more information at the following url:

http://www.unesco.org/idams "

I have checked the URL. It does offer factor analysis.

Richard Wright