Another instructor and I gave the same exam to our sections of a
course. Here's a summary of the results:

Section A: n=20, mean=56.1, median=52.5, standard dev=20.1
Section B: n=23  mean=73.0, median=70.0, standard dev=21.6

Now, they certainly _look_ different. (If it's of any valid I can
post the 20+23 raw data.) If I treat them as samples of two
populations -- which I'm not at all sure is valid -- I can compute
90% confidence intervals as follows:

Class A: 48.3 < mu < 63.8
Class B: 65.4 < mu < 80.9

As I say, I have major qualms about whether this computation means
anything. So let me pose my question: given the two sets of results
shown earlier, _is_ there a valid statistical method to say whether
one class really is learning the subject better than the other, and
by how much?

                                          http://oakroadsystems.com
My reply address is correct as is. The courtesy of providing a correct
reply address is more important to me than time spent deleting spam.